Saturday, February 1, 2014

Maple Glazed Salmon

During the week, it's hard to find quick dinner options that are healthy AND tasty. My crock-pot is definitely used weekly, but that takes planning ahead of time, which is not something I always do (or have my husband do!) In that case I like something I can cook in less than 30 minutes. Fish can be a great option for that.

Research has shown that the people of Okinawa Japan live the longest and have the highest quality of life. The people of Okinawa generally have more energy, look younger and feel younger than most other regions in the world. So what's their secret? How do they do it? The answer is actually pretty simple. They eat a diet high in Omega-3 fats. Medical research has proven that Omega-3 fats found in fish are critical for human health. The top 4 food sources to get your Omega-3's from are: 1) Wild Caught Pacific Salmon, 2) Grass-fed Bison, Lamb or Venison, 3) Pastured Dairy, and 4) High Quality Fish Oil Supplements. I haven't ventured out and cooked lamb or venison yet, but I do purchase wild-caught salmon and grass-fed bison on a regular basis. Both are easy to find at your local grocery store.

I have several ways I like to cook wild-caught salmon but I recently discovered a simple new way that was delicious and wanted to share it!

Maple Glazed Salmon
-  2-4 wild-caught salmon steaks
-  1/2 cup pure maple syrup
-  2 tbsp soy sauce
-  2-3 tbsp fresh minced ginger
-  2 tbsp butter
-  salt and pepper (to taste)
-  1 bunch green onions diced (optional)
-  sesame seeds (optional) 


Directions
Mix maple syrup, soy sauce and ginger. Pour over fish and marinate for at least 2 hours and up to a day in the refrigerator. Heat oven to 350 degrees. In an oven-safe pan, heat butter and sear salmon on the tops. Flip salmon skin side down and pour any remaining sauce over the tops. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and sesame seeds and cook in oven until done to your taste. I cook it from 5-8 minutes. Remove from oven, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Garnish with green onions and serve. This dish is nice paired with a side of steamed broccoli and white rice. 


1 comments: